Wednesday, December 1, 2010

20 Questions With: Gabriel Isaac Everson

This past summer I had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with one Gabriel Isaac Everson, at a Homeshcool Alumni function we were both attending. His musical abilities and the fact that he wears a kilt at all times, intrigued me. Gabe also proved to be an excellent dancer and patient teacher. His kindness and gentlemanly attitude shown through to all present. I find Gabe to be one of the most unique people I've ever met, so I thought it only appropriate that he should be the first of my interviewees!


1) When did you start wearing a kilt and why?
Well I started wearing a kilt many years ago when I was a wee lad after reading about the great Scottish heroes Wallace and Bruce, and also several books about the Protestant Covenanters.

2) How many kilts do you own?
Right now I own 7ish kilts (some are moving on and I've got one in the making.)

3) I understand that you make kilts. How long is the process?
Well to make a traditional hand stitched kilt it usually takes around 20 hours of work. With my machine stitched kilts I can usually accomplish it in around 10 hours.

4) What does it entail?
Making a tailored kilt is an involved process that starts with the laying out and the stitching of the pleats I then move to basting and shaping the pleats. After removing some of the bulk from the stitched portion of the kilt I sew interfacing in by hand. After interfacing and finishing the facing edges of the aprons, I add buckles and straps and finish it out with hand stitched lining.

5) How many kilts have you made to date?
I've made over 40 kilts to date.

6) You have a great love of and talent for music. When did you start playing the bagpipes?
I started playing the practice chanter February 2010 I got my first set of pipes some Scottish smallpipes in April. I have been playing the Highland Pipes since late June/early July.

7) I once heard playing the bagpipes described as trying to blow up a football with a bunch of holes in it. Would you say that is an accurate description?
Well, once the reeds are humming they help slow down the escape of air from the bag I haven't ever tried to blow up a football with or without holes though so I really can't say.

8) How many other instruments do you play and what are they?
I play penny whistles and Baroque Recorders (don't ask me to play the piano even though I did for two years...)

9) Do you read music or play by ear?
I pretty much only play by ear, God gave me the gift of being able to quickly and easily pick up tunes once I hear them so I have not yet put in the effort to learn to read music properly.

10) Outside of the music you play, what is your favorite genre?
Hmm... Hard to say I really enjoy Film soundtracks for their emotional power and depth but there are quite a few classical orchestral pieces that I like pretty much as well. I enjoy some of the various hymns of the faith as well as the music of Robin Mark a Christian songwriter in Ireland.

11) Ok, REALLY important question....Which of The High Kings is your favorite?
Well I can't say as I've never met them but I usually find myself drawn to the older men (in most cases) I don't even know the names of the HKs sorry. :( I do enjoy their music though. :)

12) It's well known in our circle of friends, that you are quite the dancer. How did you get into dancing?
Oh dancing... Well I grew up believing it was inherently flawed and/or sinful But in the past years the Lord has led us to accept dance and to use it for his glory as well as to enjoy it in social settings. I first got into dancing in 2007 with Restored to Glory a Christian dance ministry in Fort Wayne Indiana.

13) How many different forms of dancing have you learned?
I have learned some modern/lyrical ballet, Scottish Country, English Country and (as of this year) Irish step dancing. The modern ballet included some jazz and a number of different styles all incorporated into choreographed performance dance.

14) Which is your favorite?
I probably enjoy Scottish Country dancing the most because it's challenging and vigorous.

15) Besides your kilt making and bagpiping, you also work on independent films. What is your job on the set?
On set I have had many jobs from Set AD (communications and crowd control) to props, costuming and set dressing.

16) How many films have you worked on to date?
I have worked on four feature films as well as some shorts and a tv pilot.

17) What is your favorite genre of film?
I enjoy adventure stories that take place in historical or fictional eras best.

18) Do you have an overall favorite film?
I do not have an overall favorite film there are a few that I like above others for various reasons but none of them merit the place of favorite.

19) Any aspirations to direct a film of your own?
I do intend to direct a film of my own although I feel more called to Producing and Production Design.

20) One word that sums you up as a person?
Intense

BONUS ROUND!!

1) What is your favorite book of the Bible and why?
My favorite book of the Bible is... always changing, right now I'm memorizing the Psalms which I love.

2) What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
Verse, well one that is a favorite of mine in recent times has been Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge Him, (God) and He shall direct thy paths.

3) If your house was on fire and you could grab only one item, what would it be?
Probably a sibling... :)



Piping in VA from Gabriel Everson on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Red is the rose that in yonder garden grows
Fair is the lily of the valley
Clear is the water that flows from the Boyne
But my love is fairer than any."